Thursday, October 22, 2015

Those First 30 Minutes.....

A friend of mine wanted to get into PC gaming so I gifted him The Orange Box as a "Welcome to PC Gaming" gift. He had never played any of the Half Life series but he had heard a lot about them and how good they are.
So a few days later I was chatting to him and asked him what he thought about the gift I sent. he loved Portal and Team Fortress 2, but found Half Life 2 (HL2) too slow and nothing happens. My first response was to raise my eyebrow and think, slow? nothing happens? Did you play the same game I did?
I know that HL2 doesn't have action from the start, but that's a good thing. You are drawn into the world, from watching and listening to all the other passengers, been told to pick up the can, to when you walk out for the first time into the square and seeing the whole 1984 vibe the place gives off, to walking through the housing complex.
So my question to you dear reader is: Is a game better to have a big set piece opening? like the ship invasion at the start of Halo? or the opening of Uncharted 2? or do you think that games would be better served with a slower opening 30 minutes? Like HL2 or Okami?

No comments:

Post a Comment